Re: software RAID-0 recommendations

On Sep  7, 2004, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's unlikely to be even close to linear. I'd be surprised if you get a
> real-world performance improvement of 10%. It just ain't worth it.

Depends a lot on how fast the disks and the bus the data has to get
through are.  If the bus is not wide enough (or the readahead is not
big enough) for you to keep all the disks streaming, performance will
probably suck.

Other than that, raid 0 can be a significant win for large file
access.  For a small file, it doesn't make much of a difference, since
it's likely to be in a single disk.