Res: Re: [THANKS-SOLVED] kernel linux-2.6.8-1.521 locks when leaving X11

Nifty Hat Mitch <mitch48@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote :

> On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 09:46:52AM -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> > Andre Costa acosta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I upgraded kernel to 2.6.8-1.521 recently, and system has been locking
> > > hard when I leave my X session and return to GDM.
> > My machine has 512MB, so I was turning off "4 GB kernel-space and 4 GB
> > user-space virtual memory support (X86_4G)" and "High Memory Support".
> > This automatically turned off "Allocate 3rd-level pagetables from
> > highmem (HIGHPTE)", which seems to be needed for some reason (yes, IMHO
> > this is _very_ obscure and should be documented somewhere by nvidia
> > folks -- I will post a message on their forums about it).
> >
> > Once I left these 3 options untouched, I was able to do all the
> > tweakings I needed....
>

> Thank you for following up.
>
> Too often folks do not take the time to recap the initial question and
> the solution as well as you did.   Some of us will now have a richer
> background for future questions.
>
> I wonder if nVidia is doing something clever with memory maps and
> sign extensions to optimize their driver.

Hi Tom,

thks, I too believe it is important to contribute to this huge "virtual knowledge base" that the OSS community provides, so whenever I can I try to help with this =) I do hope this helps people get out of similar trouble.

As for nvidia being aware of this issue, I did post this to their forums at nvnews.net:

I can

I still have to compile vanilla (kernel.org) 2.6.8.1 kernel as suggested on that thread to see if the problem is reproducible, but I assure it is 100% reproducible with RH 2.6.8-1.521.

Best,

Andre

Microlink Internet com Qualidade, http://www.microlink.com.br