Re: CD-ROM proplem

clint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Bill Tetens wrote:

I have a DVD ROm in my box but totme has a problem and will not work. The DVD is a Sony but will have to take it out to get the model number.

When I use the hardware browser it shows the DVD as follows:
Manufacture  DVD-ROM
Driver none or builtin
Device  /dev/hdb

When I use the terminal command df -h I get the following:

/dev/hda2
/dev/hda1
none 506M  0  506M 05.dev/shm

Where I was reading showed a entry line of /dev/cdrom which does not appear on mine

My question is if my DVD Rom is mounted or even where the box recognizes it. I thought that maybe this would be my problem with totem not working but do not yet have enough info to tell.

Thanks

There are additional files that Totem needs to play back commercial DVDs.

If you have your /etc/yum.conf configured similar to that found at fedorafaq.org, you can install them with the following command:

# yum install libdvd* libmad*

Next I recommend your starting totem from the command line to view its output. Even after installing the required decryption files, totem will take a fairly long time to carry out the decryption. Thus starting totem from the command line will tell you some idea of its progress. Then you can kick back with a refreshing beverage of your choice with your favorite movie.

Hope this helps,
Clint

I have the libdvd* and libmad* installed and when I try to start from command line I get one quick flash and then an error message appears.

Totem could not startup
Could not link video output thread (CS and balance)

Some one else told me to try a cat /etc/fstab with a DVD in the player and I got among may lines the following

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom so I assume it is mounted and something else is wrong with totem.