What happens if LDAP server is unavailable?

Hi,

I am planning on starting to use LDAP for userid/password and group
management.
Everything is working fine and it was not a big problem setting it up, but I
am wondering what the effects will be if the machines are for some reason
not able to reach the LDAP server(s) any more.
The most critical processes are mysql databases as well as tomcat and apache
webservers serving static files and servlets.
Closely following in importance are email servers. What are the implications
for those processes if the LDAP server is not available any more?

I noticed that users can not be authenticated any more (of course) but also
authenticating local users (root) takes much longer, probably because the
authentication module is waiting for the LDAP timeout first.
I do not use the LDAP server for mysql authentication or anything that has
to do with servlets, except for the fact that the class- and other files the
servlets are using belong to users/groups that are defined in the LDAP
server and would then be unknown.
Would this be a problem for the web or DB server processes/daemons as long
as I do not restart them while the LDAP servers are unavailable?

Any hints/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MARK