Re: FC1 Printer sharing only works with Win98

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 00:06, M.Hockings wrote:
> Edward wrote:

> >> Yup, Win2K reports "Access denied, unable to connect".  FCx doesn't
> >> appear to report anything, just nothing gets printed.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >

> > Yes. Good fun isn't it. You'd think after all these samba releases since
> > 97 or so, we'd finally be rid of this kind of crud.
> >
> > Look, I remember screwing with machine names, user names and passwords,
> > samba configuration settings, and CUPS setting (for raw printing).
> > Eventually it worked (although the access denied message never went
> > away). A few releases later and I haven't bothered trying any more.
> >
> > I did keep a link from then though - and it looks like it could help:
> >
> > http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/printing.html#id2546603
> >

> > Oh, and please be aware if your printer uses a print monitor, it will
> > not work through samba period.
> >
> > Sorry I don't have a definitive answer. I couldn't find one way back
> > then either.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ed.
>
> Thanks Ed,
>
> I'll ponder though it and see what I can get to work.  I've tried using
> LPR from Win2K and CUPS from FC1 to print to the problematic printer
> queue but to no avail.  I really can't imagine that is should be this
> difficult.  So I figure I must be missing something along the way.
>

> Mike

I don't see where you need Samba. - perhaps I missed something?

But here is a similar issue, but on FC2(?)
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-August/msg03791.html
which worked for me as well. The deal for me was to edit cups.conf. See
section "Modify cups configuration" at
http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html

hth
chris