Re: Xorg freezes, crashes, locks, shoots and leaves

Dear Gene,

I know your problem very well! Anyway, after having X freezing the system for several months, at present it doesn't happen any more. It's hard to say way.

I only can suggest you to add the following lines to xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option        "AllowDeactivateGrabs" "true"
   Option        "AllowClosedownGrabs" "true"
EndSection

They allow you to use C-A-K-* and C-A-K-/ to try to unlock X in some situations (see man xorg.conf for a few detail). To avoid misunderstandings, please note that C-A-K-* means "Control, Alt, Keypad *" pressed together.

This could be a start to investigate what is happening to your system. I would not be very optimistic, but at least you can try, it's very easy. Remember to restart your X server after the changes above.

Best regards... and good luck!!!

Gene Smith wrote:

Maybe there is something wrong with my computer, I don't know, but it passes the overnight test of memtest86 from the fc 2 cd and fsck.

The problem is that X seems to just freeze up at random times. Sometimes it goes for days with no problem. Sometimes it is twice in one day, like today. It also seems to be more frequent (possibly) with the latest kernel 2.6.8-1.521 (and I have kept completely updated with yum).

My driver is the default nvidia for a GeForce3 Ti 200 card and system is 500Mhz Athlon with 384M memory. It has run other linux systems for years with no problem, e.g., RH 7.2, Debian.

By "freeze" I mean the keyboard and mouses button do nothing, only the mouse cursor moves. The system does not really crash. The freeze is never associated with doing any particular thing, AFAICT.

I can go run vncviewer from another box and it comes up and works fine. After "killall -9 X" I can then login again and it goes again. I have seen this with KDE and GNOME (but I typically just run KDE).

I have been having this problem during fc2 test and after clean install of fc2. See my previous message on this list, Subject "X lock / crash + slowdowns - fc2" and possibly others where I have mentioned this.

I have no screen saver active.

Any idea what could be causing this or how I can troubleshoot it? Or is it a continuing bug in fc2 or Xorg?

Tks,
-gene

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico