Upgraded KDE and now my login manager doesn't work...

I upgraded some KDE rpms yesterday in synaptic, and when I started up my system today, I have a new login screen. I went to the login manager as my normal user account, typed in the root password, and my settings have not changed. I logged out and logged in as root to discover that root logged into KDE also. I use KDE on my user account and Gnome on root, so I know something is wrong here. I ran switchdesk from my root account and set it back to gnome, but it still logs me into KDE for my root account. The KDE control center has a login manager which seems to be what my system is now using, but I would like to disable the KDE login manager and go back to using the default login manager. How do I do this?