Re: Fedora to AS3.0 upgrade?

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 18:10:04 -0700, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 10:10, Jon Neher wrote:
> > Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade from Fedora to AS3.0
> > without a total reinstall?
> ----
> you can pass 'upgradeany' as a boot parameter
>
> BUT
>
> you'd be crazy to do it, it's not supported and it's destined to cause
> trouble.

It would be tricky, neigh on impossible to get just right.  We've done
upgrades from RH8 and RH9 to AS3.0 and even those were a little
nerve-wracking (and in some cases are still a little out of whack).
Going from FC2/1 to AS3.0 would be even more difficult because a lot
of packages would need to be backed off rather than upgraded.  It
would be an RPM nightmare.

A fresh install might be more work to begin with, but will be less
work over all, and would be a lot less error-prone.

--
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs@xxxxxxxxxx
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves@xxxxxxxxx