Re: Image Editing slow in Fedora

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 12:25 +0000, Jon Shorie wrote:
> On Friday 03 September 2004 07:06, Alexander Apprich wrote:
> <a.apprich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Jon,
> >
> > Jon Shorie wrote:
> > > We have some 300 dpi 24x36" greyscale scans of some of our plans.  I am
> > > looking for an image editor that works with linux that is reasonably
> > > quick for working with these images.  The fiels are saved as a tif image
> > > and are about 4 mb in size.
> > >
> > > When I load one of them into gimp, it balloons to about 90mb in size and
> > > performance is extremely poor.  I have verified that gimp is not
> > > converting the image to RGB, but it still is too slow to use on a daily
> > > basis.
> > >
> > > If I load the image into windoze imaging, it stays as a 4mb image and
> > > performance is reasonable.
> > >
> > > I went through the documentation for gimp, but I did not see anything
> > > that looks useful.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > just to make it complete...
> >
> > what are your system specs?? FC1 or FC2, which kernel...
> >
> > Also, is it possible for you to send one (or more) of these pics
> > off list, so maybe I or someone else can verify it
>
> Sorry for not posting system specs earlier.
>
> Athlon Thunderbird 1400 512MB Ram.  ATI Radeon 7000 AGP Video Card.  7200RPM
> 15GB Hard Drive.  Fedora Core 2.  Linux kernal 2.6.8-1.521.  Motherboard is
> an ECS board with VIA KT133A chipset.
>
> I did try a few more things since posting this question.  I upgraded the
> memory to 768 mb and adjusted the preferences in gimp to Tile Cache Size of
> 384MB and Minimum undo levels to 4 from the defaults of 64MB and 5.
>
> This seemed to improve matters somewhat, but it still a lot slower than
> windoze imaging on my windoze box which only has
> Athlon Duron 600 512MB Ram ATI Rage 128 Pro Video Card 5400RPM 8GB Hard Drive
> Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.

You don't have your home directory mounted off of a network share do
you?

> We are in the process of scanning about 10000 of these images.
>
> I have a version of one of the images with the information that is
> confidential removed.  I can post it as an attachment, but the size of the
> file is 2.8 mb.

Do you not have web space where you can place the image and post a link?
If not send the file to me off list, and I'll post a link to it for you.
I am fairly certain there is a not so dormant hornets nest that you'd be
whacking with a cattle prod if you posted that to the list ;)

> I am also wondering if anyone has any idea why gimp shows the size as 300mb
> internally when the file itself is only 2.8mb.

I believe the internal size shows the size of the file uncompressed, and
as such it is much much larger.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not much help, but better then nout.
--