Root mail

When running in text mode, I have noticed before that when I log in as root, I see the notification that I have new mail. I figured it was system mail, and read through some of it, but I am curious as to what generates it and why? I know one time I forgot to su before running a command and my computer told me it was going to "report" me, which I thought was pretty funny. What is cron? I see cron.daily and cron.weekly reports also.

I can read the e-mail though the console, but can I configure it like a regular mailbox in Kmail or Mozilla when running in graphical mode?