Re: Doubt about ADSL security.

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 14:58, cviniciusm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a nic card and a ADSL modem. The ADSL modem thas NAT, Firewall,
> IP Filter and DHCP Server. The nic card has a private IP address and
> the modem has a public IP address. All just works fine. The firewall
> has attack protection and DOS protection both active. Need I more
> protection, on Windows 2000 and on Fedora Core 2?
>
> Thanks in advance, Vinicius.

A few things I do:

1.  On all my boxes, I run portsentry.  The portsentry.conf and the
portsentry.ignore are very straight-forward.  I have portsentry set up
to detect port scans and automatically insert the offending IP address
into iptables with:
KILL_ROUTE="/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s $TARGET$ -j DROP"

2. Keep everything up to date.

3. Turn off all services that aren't needed.  My standard workstation
only has sshd (port 22) open.

Mike.