Re: Help: Runaway processes killing server...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mauri Sahlberg" <Mauri.Sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 3:16 AM
Subject: Re: Help: Runaway processes killing server...

> A lot of speculation follows, probably not very light reading and might
> be complete gooblegeep.
>
> Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> | Try adding more swap space.  Check the web for how to use an ordinary
> | file for this if you don't have any free disk space.  Something like:
> |

> Adding swap might help and I certainly hope it will. Under normal load
> the old swap, which was a half gigabyte in size, was in practice unused.
> Now the total amount of swap is four and half gigabytes which should be
> a lot more than is required.
I agree.
> What I am actually looking for is clues how to find out what causes the
> rapid consumption of the resources, where, by whom and how fast this
> actually happens. I'm looking for tools to do better post mortem
> diagnosis or tools that would gather me better information for post
> mortem diagnosis. The /var/log/messages with OOM lines did not help me a
> bit.
I had an OOM awhile back and I couldn't figure out what was causing it.
I used the following script to output my ps and vmstat every 10 minutes via
cron
The next time my machine started OOM. I reboot and checked the processes and
vmstat files just before the OOM error and found a perl program that was
causing the problem.
#!/bin/sh
#  Check system status every 10 minutes
# Writes the output of  ps and vmstat to file
TIME=`date +%H%M`
ps -aux >> /tmp/syschk/$TIME.psCheck
vmstat >> /tmp/syschk/$TIME.vmstatCheck

Hope it helps