Re: How do I Maintain hard disk health

Well, there's SMARTD.  I haven't used it.  I'm thinking about starting
though.

It used to be that IDE hard drive failures were a rarity.  In the last
couple of months or so, I've seen 3 drives die.  One was a couple months
old. (hitachi deskstar 61GB) The other two were 2 years old.
Interestingly, they were both Western Digital 20GB drives in a hardware
raid1 configuration.  They failed within a couple of weeks of each
other.  They both show to be dead even when put into a totally different
machine, and new drives in the original machine fixed the problems, so I
don't think its a controller issue.

In my own personal machines, I have always used Maxtors and never had a
single failure, though.

Anyone having similar experiences?