Re: Multiple application using sound

Francisco Figueiredo Jr. wrote:
Cédric MARCOUX wrote:

Hi,

Hi!

I just wonder how to set my fedora core 2 for multiple application using sound. Because if i launch an application using sound (for exemple skype), I cannot get any sound in other application lauched after... (like a game)

If you are using kde, there is the artsd daemon which is responsible for doing exactly that. The problem is that the application has to talk to arts when producing sound (I mean, it has to send sound to arts so arts plays the sound for your application). This way it can mix the many applications sounds.

For example, you can hear sounds from gaim and zsnes because they both talk to arts.

The problem is that skype doesn't talk to arts, or at least I don't know how to make it talk. This way, the sound device is exclusively locked by the skype and your game can't access it and blocks. The same happens if you start an application which uses sound and try to lauch skype.

I heard that alsa would do the mixing by itself, but I don't know how to do that.

So, I think that we are out of luck if try to use skype to talk while gaming :(

Please, let me know if somebody here has more suggestions about what can be done about this. I'd like to know too.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

This is also a problem with ESD and gnome. :(
I fought to get audacity to work in gnome and finally found that I have to disable esd. Now things seem to work okay.

--
Robin Laing