Re: How do I compile and install a kernel from source?

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 23:23, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> I have been installing the kernel rpms with yum/synaptic, but I have
> read that the "vanilla" kernels, which I am guessing are the original
> source-code versions, have more features, but are sometimes less stable
> becuase thet are not edited for specific distributions. Is this correct?
>
> I would like to compile the latest kernel version from source just to
> see how it's done and also to see if the "vanilla" kernel is stable
> enough for my system. Once it is compiled, will I have to manually add
> the kernel to the grub config file? Any tips/tricks I should know about
> when compiling a custom kernel?
>
> I am currently using 2.6.7-1.496_4.rhfc2.at, and I had tried the
> 2.6.8-1, but went back after finding out about the CD-burning bug. Has
> this been fixed?
I have never had stability problems with the distribution kernels and
have also compiled custom kernels.

I have really not seen any difference except for size.

With the kernel build interfaces it is easy enough to do, and easier to
mess up, but, is a good learning experience.
--
jludwig <wralphie@xxxxxxxxxxx>