Re: fedora install problem

John Williams wrote:

I am installing Red Hat fedora on my sony Viao laptop and when I
finish I am unable to use the keyboard.  Does anyone know how to
trouble shoot this problem?  Or do you know where i can find out how
to fix it. thank you for your help.

I can only suggest a step-by-step approach. Try the following:

1. When the boot loader screen appears (I suppose you have GRUB installed), press "a" in order to "append" some extra option to the default boot configuration line.
2. You should now see a line that you can edit with arrow keys.
3. If you can't do this, you are deep in trouble. I can't help you any more. Don't read any further.
4. If you can edit that line, go to its very beginning, and type "linux 1". Remember to leave a blank after the "1". This way, you are telling the system that you want start it in administrator mode.
5. Press enter and cross your fingers.
6. After a while, you should see a shell prompt (like "sh xx.yy#").
7. Try to type anything. If your keyboard is working here, you have most likely a problem with X (the graphical interface system). Go to the next step.
8. Enter "init 3". This way you go into runlevel 3 (multi user) and you will be prompted for a login. log in as root.
9. Check again your keyboard (it should still be working). Now try "startx". Your graphical desktop should appear. Check your keyboard. If it doesn't work, certainly you must check the configuration files for X (/etc/X11/xorg.conf or something like that).

That's all for now.

Sorry if it's not very clear.

Good luck.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico