Transplanted BOOT partition, now GRUB won't work

Hi all,

I have this situation:

        - I used partimage from a Live CD on my old box to generate images
from my /boot and root FC1 partitions (that was a dual-boot with Win 2K).

        - Then I restored both images to my new box - that's another
dual-boot, now with Win XP.

        - Next, from the Live CD (that's sysrrescd 02.15), I ran e2fsck on
both partitions.

        - Mounted both partitions from the Live CD, edited /etc/fstab (new
location of swap partition) and /boot/grub.conf  (new location of root
partition).

        - Backups were made of previous versions of fstab and grub.conf,
and checked that auths and owners remained the same on new versions.

        - Next I used fdisk to make /boot bootable.

        - My first boot manager is GAG, which points both to Windoze and
to GRUB on /boot .

And then I have this problem:

        When pointing the GAG boot manager to /boot , grub screen DOES NOT
show up. Instead I get the plain word GRUB on top left corner, plus a
cursor which does not accept keyboard input.

Additional info:

        I was able to boot into FC1 using an old boot disk, after changing
the location of the root partition. So I believe the real problem is to
get GRUB to work properly.

Obvious question:

        - What could be the tiny detail that I forgot ???

Thnx all !

Thiers