broken grub question

I posted this to the redhat list, but there isn't much activity. I have
a problem with grub on a redhat 9 machine that I'm hoping someone here
might be able to help with. I have a Fedora system that appears to have
the same problem.

I installed a new kernel on the redhat 9 machine but do not see it in
the menu on boot. I found that /boot/grub was empty. I tried
reinstalling grub as well as manually putting the missing files back in
based on another redhat 9 system I have.

/etc/grub.conf points to /boot/grub/grub.conf. I modified grub.conf and
it looks like below, but I still only see the original kernel listed.

It's pointing to where it should point(I think) ../boot/grub/grub.conf
which looks like:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-35.9)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-35.9 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-35.9.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-31.9)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-31.9 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-31.9.img

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
James