Re: samba share/printer problem

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 22:24, Lorn Miller wrote:

> I've opened up those ports on in the firewall.  That did the trick for
> the firewall.  I've also discovered why I did not have write access, I
> was trying to have samba write to a directory as nobody without the
> appropriate permissions.

Glad that part is working now.

> I still get "Access denied, unable to connect" on the printer.  I'm not
> entirely certain I've got the print queue set up correctly.  The printer
> is connected via USB and I'm printing through CUPS.  I'd like to print
> through samba if possible, but I will browse through the archives
> looking for lpr and lpd network printing with Windows XP.

Still sounds like you don't have the right user permissions setup yet.
If it is coming in as nobody then it sounds to me as if you are trying
to access it with guest type permissions.  Make sure you have created a
user on the samba server that matches the user on the windows box
including the same password.

Or you should be able to modify the permissions on the printer to permit
anyone to print.  Not sure you really want to do that but I believe it
can be done.

> This may be a noob question, but how do I get generic information (such
> as where the print queue is located) about the printer?

Good question.  I have to find time to go look this one up.  Typically
stuff like that is probably under /var/spool but I have not looked for
it in a long time.

Of course you should be able to get most of that information from the
cups interface.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

"When anyone says `theoretically,' they really mean `not really.'"
 -- David Parnas