Re: [OT] Smartd: Worth the effort?

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 14:54, Allen Winter wrote:

> >     Hmm.  There was an entry for sending mail to
> > root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and I get those emails (to that address) but
> > I didn't see anything.  I've made the change and we'll see if that
> > helps; the drive's still attached, just not mounted...I'll keep an eye
> > on it, thanks!
> >
> I had a problem sending to 'root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' because I had forgotten
> to add localhost.localdomain to ALL in /etc/hosts.allow.  IOW, tcpwrappers was
> getting in the way.
>
> Something you might want to check.

    Hazaa!  You're right, bud- I didn't have that.

    I'd seen it report to the syslog about "byte 0f93 changed from 21 to
22" or something, but that's not terribly useful.  So I guess I'll keep
using the service, and just hope that these features will give me some
'heads-up' time before the next one dies.

    Thanks!
Brian FahrlÃnder                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller