Re: Shell prompt

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Arnaldo Bento wrote:

> Hello All
>
> In the past I had the prompt of the terminal window as this:
>
> [root@something tmp] #
>
> Now and without I know reason the prompt changed for
>
> bash-2.05b #
> Even if I change from directory the prompt still the same.
>
> What to do for to have back the "old" prompt?  [root@something tmp] #
> Thank you for the help.

(1) If you usually work as root, you really need to create a nonprivileged
account and do your general work from that.  You can become root when
necessary to do system admin tasks.  Working as root, you can accidentally
do an enormous amount of damage to your system.

(2) It is possible you have erased your .bashrc file.  Check to see if
your account has a .bashrc file in the home directory.  (Also, you should
have a .bash_profile and a .bash_logout file.)  If not, copy the ones from
/etc/skel/.  If you do have a .bashrc file, it should contain the
following lines at the end:

    # Source global definitions
    if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
            . /etc/bashrc
    fi

The prompt you usually see is defined in /etc/bashrc.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu