Re: Posts with attachments

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> My message does not consist of an text/sig pair of attachments. Yet it
> too has an GPG signature embedded with the text in the actual message
> body. It also has an embedded instruction as to which pgp server my
> public key can be found.
>
> While I [obviously] prefer the embedded method over what I call a
> detached sig. Both are examples of using gpg (or pgp) And a good clue
> that the sender wants it to be possible to verify that was received was
> in fact exactly what he or she sent. And that he or she did actually send
> them.
>
> One reason I prefer to use the embedded ascii form is it made it easy
> for me to start the signing process from my editor instead of "having"
> to depend on my mail client for it.
>
> Why so many seam to prefer the detached signature method, I do not know???

There's a very good review of the advantages and disadvantages of
the two methods, along with how to set up GPG with various mail
clients, at http://lwn.net/Articles/93640/ .

In particular, Evolution will only understand MIME (apparently: I've
never got on with the program).

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Which do you consider was the stronger swimmer,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | (a) The Spanish Armadillo,