Re: Problem with YUM???

jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 08:26, Bill Tetens wrote:

webid@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 23:24, Bill Tetens wrote:

I was given a site for a updated yum.conf file but am having a problem.
I can get the file into a VIM file named /etc/yum.conf but cannot save
the file.  Not sure what is wrong but would welcome any suggestions.  I
first perserved the yum.conf file by using the CD /etc command under
root.  That file does not exist but cannot write the file in the VIM
program in place of it even though VIM shows that the file is named
yum.conf.  It seems some type of restriction is on that file name or
something.  Hope I have explained enough that you understand my problem.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

/etc/yum.conf has 655 permissions which means it is read/writable by
root and read only by others only.

I am assuming you meant you did a cp /etc/yum.conf someotherfilename to
save a copy of the that file not CD.  cd is for changing your current
directory.

To edit the file you will need to have root permissions or be logged in
as root.  To do that issue the following command:

su -

It will prompt you for roots password and change the prompt to #.

Then use vi to edit /etc/yum.conf and save your changes.

Got up this morning and started my first cup of coffee and suddenly it
dawned on my that I needed to be in root.  When I got to the computer
there was your help and it told me the same thing.  Anyway I changed the
  yum.conf file and it works just fine now.

I tried the cp command and it did not work.  Where can I find a listing
of all the commands.  I have several of them but there has to be a list
somewhere.

Thanks again for the help.

One of the best references I know of that has the majority of the
commands (as well as a lot of other information) is "Linux in a
Nutshell" by O'reilly.  A very good reference for anyone using any
flavor of Linux.

Got Linux in a Nutshell on the way.  Guess I did sonething right other than get into Linux.

Thanks to everyone for the help...