Re: Problem with YUM???

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 09:26, Bill Tetens wrote:

> Got up this morning and started my first cup of coffee and suddenly it
> dawned on my that I needed to be in root.  When I got to the computer
> there was your help and it told me the same thing.  Anyway I changed the
>   yum.conf file and it works just fine now.
>
> I tried the cp command and it did not work.  Where can I find a listing
> of all the commands.  I have several of them but there has to be a list
> somewhere.
>
> Thanks again for the help.

No problem.  Do man cp to see how the cp command should be used.  It
allows you to copy files.

Probably the easiest way to find commands is to use apropos.  For
example you can do:

apropos copy

And you will get a list of commands that provide various types of copy
functions.  To get more details then use man commandname, for example:

man cp

Some commands will have their man pages in different sections.  There
was a good discussion on this in the past few weeks you may want to
reference.

apropos crontab
/etc/anacrontab [anacrontab] (5)  - configuration file for anacron
crontab              (1)  - maintain crontab files for individual users
(V3)
crontab              (5)  - tables for driving cron

You can then do

man crontab

This will show you the man page for section 1 for crontab.

man 5 crontab

Will show you the man page for section 5 for crontab.

A lot of the systems commands are located in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin,
/usr/sbin.  There are others in other directories as well.

Do a man on apropos.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

"...and scantily clad females, of course.  Who cares if it's below zero
outside"
(By Linus Torvalds)