Re: Linux-friendly ISPs?

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:57:56 +0000, Jon Shorie <jshorie@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2004 17:45, Adam Boettiger wrote:
> > Do any of the major ISPs offer dialup or broadband access that is
> > compatible with Linux?
> >
> > I searched and all I came up with were hosting account providers, not
> > connectivity.
> I am currently using Armstrong Zoom 500 Cable Internet.  It gives 3 MB/s
> Download and 512k upload.  I have 3 macs, 2 linux boxes, and 2 windoze boxes
> on my home network.  It works with no problems at all.
>
> I use a dlink home router/firewall to connect my cable modem to.  This way I
> do not have to mess with setting up a firewall on each box or configuring
> each box to use the cable modem.  I just point them to the ipaddress of the
> router and it just works.
>
> --

I have 2 windows boxen, 1 (sometimes 2) fedora boxen, and 6 Sun boxes
that all connect through a switch and Smoothwall configuration.  I use
Cox as my ISP, which recently just upgraded their service to 4Mbps
down and 512 Kbps up.  Never had any problems there, other than them
blocking server ports (80, 25, etc.)  The smoothwall is a linux based
firewall/router/ids box, and has no problems connecting.  I think for
the most part, the ISPs aren't partial to their clients using 1 OS or
the other.  SUre, they want you to use their customized Internet
Explorer, and all of their other "junk software", but that's usually
all it is......junk.  I'm not sure you could really designate an ISP
as "linux friendly" or not.  I would like to see an example of one
that is NOT.  ;)

--
Charlie Heselton
Network Security Engineer