Re: [Fedora] hosts.allow error

> > Scott wrote:
> >
> > >**Unmatched Entries**
> > >   /etc/hosts.allow, line 7: missing ":" separator: 144 Time(s)
> > >   /etc/hosts.allow, line 6: missing ":" separator: 144 Time(s)
> > >
> > >What does it mean when it say's the ":" separator is missing?
> > >

> >    What does your hosts.allow look like?  Typically, when you're
> > blocking services, you define a daemon_list and client_list, separated
> > by a :, so for example, if you just want to block an ip from all your
> > services, it would look like this:
> >
> >    ALL: aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
> >
> >    Notice the : - make sure you have that.
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi,
> I'm not trying to be harsh or anything, but isn't the error message
> one of the more self-explanatoy and descriptive ones? What more do you
> want? it tells you that you need the ":"  on line 6, and 7, at least
> take a look at the file before you start to ask for help would you?
>
> Yang

Hi Yang,
Just so you know, I did look at the file. I asked a simple question because
I work 60+ hours a week and don't get a lot of time to research sometimes.
No one had to answer, but the two people who did were a great help. I've
been on this list for a while, and have been on other lists for a long time.
I don't ask many questions and I try to help out on subjects I know a lot
about. I go way back in how one should act on a mailing list, (Back to the
day's of FidoNet when I was a sysop) and have never told anyone that a
question should not have been asked. The simple man hosts.allow answer was
great. And no, I'm not trying to start a fight, just having a normal too
long of a day.

Thanks,

Scott....