Problems with keyboard...

Greetings,

i have a compaq r3000 (laptop), and i had install fedora core 2, but my
surprise... the keyboard, doesn't work. Ok, i'll hope that others stuff
doesn'nt work, but the keyboard... some suggestions in order to work with
linux in my laptop. Ok, i have one... install other distribution,
jejejeje, i hope that it doesn't hurt feelings that someone in this list,
but i'm installing fedora, because i want to work with mono, and i see
that at the mono site release mono for fedora, suse, redhat, but not for
Mandrake, and this is the reason because i probe fedora.

Please, don't flame me, just give me ideas in how to fix the problem, in
software.

thanks, and best regards.