Re: Linux-friendly ISPs?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, rich dinkin wrote:

Adam Boettiger wrote:

Do any of the major ISPs offer dialup or broadband access that is compatible with Linux?

I searched and all I came up with were hosting account providers, not connectivity.

Although Comcast doesn't officially support Linux, it works pretty effortlessly. In fact, I found Linux easier to set up in Comcast than XP.

what would make something "compatible with Linux"? for the most part, a cable or DSL modem is just going to hand you an IP address anyway, so why would it matter what OS you're running?

About the only thing I can think of is tech support from the ISP. But even if you use Windows, the advice is usually "reboot Windows" and failing that, "reinstall."

When we got Road Runner here, the installer was all ready to do all the configuration for us, but changed his mind when he saw our network was all linux and *BSD. :-)

--

-John (john@xxxxxxxxxxx)