Re: Linux-friendly ISPs?

Hi,

I would advise against using your own SMTP server on home broadband, unless you really have a good reason.

I was running mine for a few months, after my ISP's server died a few times because of viruses. It went out OK, but a lot of messages bounced, as the recipient SMTP server rejected them, as they were coming from a residential IP block (and with all the spam and viruses, chances are, if you're not on a residential block list, you'll get there soon). Now if you have not configured your SMTP server properly (e.g. you just started sendmail with the default config), you could miss those bounces, and never learn that there was any problem.

Otherwise, I've seen some ISPs that are deliberately messing with linux boxes, but that is quite rare, and possible to handle. If you manage to avoid those, Fedora can handle pretty much any broadband connection with tools out of the box.

Anyway, good luck!

//Andro