Re: Remote Desktop to a Powerbook running OS 10.3.5

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:38:01 -0400, Thinker <thinker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there a way to remotely access my powerbook running os 10.3.5 ? Even
better would be the ability to remotely access my Linux Box from my
Powerbook.

Thanks,

..:Thinker

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:42:24 -0400 From: Yang Xiao
... all you need to do is allow remote X sessions.

From http://sources.redhat.com/ download their cygwin product onto your Windows machine.

Make sure you snuffle around in their idiosyncratic setup utility to enable 'ssh', which I believe is not in the default download.

Run the 'sshd' on your Linux box to allow secure login - you might want to use a port other than 22 if it's accessible from outside your firewall.

From your Windows box with cygwin installed, open a cygwin bash shell window. At the command line, type:
ssh -l yourusernameonLinux -X -p 22 yourlinuxhost.in.yourdomain

The "-p" is optional - it defaults to port 22. You can use the IP address in place of the hostname for the target host.

You will get a password prompt and thence a shell on the UNIX host, displayed in the command window on your Windows machine.

To run X windows applications, make sure that your cygwin environment on windows has 'xwin' running:
$ xwin --multiwindow &

or that Windows has some other X server active.

Because of the "-X" in the ssh command, any X programs in the Linux session will appear in the X server on your Windows machine.

Check out the man and info pages.

-Lew