Re: Linux-friendly ISPs?

Adam Boettiger wrote:

Do any of the major ISPs offer dialup or broadband access that is compatible with Linux?

I searched and all I came up with were hosting account providers, not connectivity.

TIA

AB

I use verizon DSL and am on the west coast, so it's straight DHCP/ether here. Apparently the east coast verizon is ppoe. I read this on the web so it must be true.

Anyway, I have a hard drive I keep handy that has windows on it. I had to use this to create an account with a cdrom that came in my verizon self-install kit.

After that, I just plugged an extra ether card into a spare linux box, cabled it to the dsl modem, let kudzu find it, set it to dhcp. It came up no problems.

Finally I installed and configured "shorewall" to nat/firewall my net, dhcp for the private side, and a caching DNS. I might get one of those broadband routers at some point...lots of people are using those with linux and they are very easy to use.
----
John