Re: Linux-friendly ISPs?

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 12:51, Adam Boettiger wrote:
> Is there clear documentation on how to set it up?  I couldn't find it on
> their site.
>
> Also, in the event that I am not near a cable connection, do you know if
> Comcast offers dialup option into their accounts from a modem?  I
> couldn't find this from their site either.
>
> Finally, do any of the major ISPs support linux for dialup access?
>
>  > Although Comcast doesn't officially support Linux, it works pretty
> effortlessly. In fact, I found Linux easier to set up in > Comcast than XP.

In my experience, most ISP services function flawlessly with Linux.
Also, most do not "support" linux.

What this means, is if you are enterprising enough to determine the
correct settings to use for connection you have no problems, but if you
have to call in for assistance they are clueless.

The help(less) desks are only able to follow the scripts they have for
assisting you to connect and since the world is (still) windows-centric
that is the only script they have for setup and trouble shooting.

For the ISP it is a matter of putting the money where most of their
customers are.  That is changing, but as yet Linux is mostly unsupported
for internet connectivity.

YMMV