Re: Linux-friendly ISPs?

From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, rich dinkin wrote:
>
> > Adam Boettiger wrote:
> >
> >> Do any of the major ISPs offer dialup or broadband access that is
> >> compatible with Linux?
> >>
> >> I searched and all I came up with were hosting account providers, not
> >> connectivity.
> >>
> > Although Comcast doesn't officially support Linux, it works pretty
> > effortlessly. In fact, I found Linux easier to set up in Comcast than
XP.

> what would make something "compatible with Linux"?  for the most part,
> a cable or DSL modem is just going to hand you an IP address anyway,
> so why would it matter what OS you're running?
>
> i've never had a problem dropping my linux laptop onto someone else's
> home network.  so what problem are you thinking of where linux would
> cause a problem and windows wouldn't?  just curious.
>
> rday

The real question comes from a lower level. With DSL, at least, the
question the first level staff finds baffling is how the DSL connection
is wrapped. Is it straight Ethernet look alike with no encapsulation or
is it wrapped PPPoE? But a little experimentation can usually solve that
issue. And my suspicion is that PPPoE is used almost exclusively on all
new DSL connections.

{^_^}