Re: MB failure?

Crazy Rusty wrote:
> Working with FC2..
>
> Comp crashed.  Had it force the sys integ check.
>
> Comes back with something that (at the end) says.
>
> Code: (blah blah blah.)
>
> <0> Kernel panic: Fatal exception in interrupt
>
> In interrupt handler - not synching
>
> I found one post through google that said to hit esc as soon as I see the
> lilo screen but I am a noob and I don't know what a lilo is!

The Fedora equivalent is grub. It's the screen that appears immediately
after all the BIOS screens, and lets you choose which kernel and/or OS
to boot.

You might want to press "e" to edit the command line, but without
seeing the advice, I can't tell.

> I am almost sure it's a motherboard issue.  FC2 took 14 hours to install.
> Windows never even made it that far, it used to fail during cd boot and say
> "Page fault in non paged area" and something else about an IRQ.  I am using
> an Asus P4T socket 423 board.  The ram is good so I thought I would check to
> see if anyone concurred that it's the mb.

How do you know the memory is good?

Since you can't install to Windows either, it sounds a good bet that
it's hardware. If the system has any add-in cards (apart from your
primary graphics card), you could try taking them out. Otherwise, I'd
look at the CPU, the memory, the motherboard, the CD, the hard drive,
the cables, the cooling, or possibly any add-in IDE or SCSI adapter
cards. And it's most likely to be the motherboard.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | realise that you are in a hurry.