Re: "FAILED" to "bring up" eth0

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Phil Thomson wrote:

> > On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 15:09, Phil Thomson wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> After no less than three attempts, I finally got Fedora Core 2 installed
> >> and booting on an old 233 with 64 MB of RAM that I found in the garbage
> >> (!). But now, upon boot, Fedora tries to "bring up" eth0 for a long time
> >> before saying it "FAILED". Does this simply mean the ethernet adapter is
> >> broken (given that I found this box in the trash, that may well be, though
> >> it seems perfectly functional in all other ways)? Or is there a .conf file
> >> or something I need to tweak somewhere?
> >
> > Did you configure the ethernet adapter?  It may just be trying to get a
> > DHCP address, and cannot find a server.  Configure the network card for
> > your network, and then try to activate it.  If you don't know how to
> > configure it or activate it, just let us know.
> >
> > Forrest
>
> During the install, I chose DHCP for my network connection method. I don't
> think I came across any other screens for network or ethernet config. I
> looked around in /etc for something related to network or dhcp, but didn't
> see anyting obvious.
>
> My network sitch: small home network with 3 computers on a hub (in my
> room) and three other computers in other rooms connected to a 4-port
> router upstairs. The router address is 192.168.0.1. It contains a DHCP
> server for the home network and it's our gateway to the internet. What do
> I need to tell Fedora to do to get on the network?

This may be a silly question, but aside from asking if there's a cable
from the Fedora system to your hub, is there any cabling between the hub
in your room and the router upstairs?  If not, you'll never get a DHCP
address...there needs to be communication.

If there is a cable between your hub and the router, and there's a cable
between your computer and the hub, my next question is going to be whether
or not your're plugged into a port, on your hub, that might be set up as
an uplink port (ie, crossover enabled).

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit