Re: "FAILED" to "bring up" eth0

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Phil Thomson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After no less than three attempts, I finally got Fedora Core 2 installed
> and booting on an old 233 with 64 MB of RAM that I found in the garbage
> (!). But now, upon boot, Fedora tries to "bring up" eth0 for a long time
> before saying it "FAILED". Does this simply mean the ethernet adapter is
> broken (given that I found this box in the trash, that may well be, though
> it seems perfectly functional in all other ways)? Or is there a .conf file
> or something I need to tweak somewhere?

What this usually means is that it's attempting to get an IP address by
way of DHCP...the long delay followed by "FAILED" often means that it was
unsuccessful.

Do you have a DHCP server on your network?  Do you have a cable between
the NIC and the hub/switch?  Do you have a light on the hub/switch
indicating that the card has been activated?

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit