Re: Security Question

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Taranto" <rog@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 4:42 PM
Subject: Security Question

I've just upgraded to FC2, and I'm trying to figure out who to handle a
security access situation. I would like to keep the security on the machine
pretty high since I use it as a firewall, but I also would like to give
access to a friend to update a web site hosted on the computer. She would
be coming in via FTP (for example, DreamWeaver), but is using a cable
connection and therefore won't always be tied to the same IP address.

How do I keep security tight while still allowing her to connect to update
the web site?

Thanks,
-Roger

Hi Roger -

As others have responded ftp on a "secure" machine is a Bad Thing(TM). However, trying to explain to a mere mortal how to use scp can be a pain. So, I submit that you have your client use a graphical scp client - much shorter learning curve.

Have a look at this list that Google came up with:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=graphical+scp&btnG=Google+Search

Cheers,
Thomas