Re: OffLine Updates

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 18:37, Michael Hart wrote:
> A few months ago I downloaded all the updates and loaded them onto a CD.
>   Now a colleague want to set up a system off line (that may go online
> to a bandwidth limited account later).
>
> What I want to do is loan him my CD and have, say, yum use the CD to
> update his system?
>
> Alternatively is ther some sort of shell script that I can use that will
> check that he has a particular package installed then upgrade it if
> necessary.
>
> Does rpm -U -all check packages first?
>
> Michael

Michael,

rpm -i (installs the package if not already installed)
rpm -U (upgrades/installs the package)
rpm -F (freshens only if the package is installed)

So, most likely, assuming all the .rpm package files are in a common
"errata" directory, simply cd to that directory and perform an "rpm -Fvh
*.rpm" (without the quotes, of course).  The v is to make it verbose in
its output, and the h displays hash marks to show progress.

HTH,

--Rob