Re: Printer Sharing recommendations

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 22:34, Sean Earp wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> I am getting ready to install Fedora Core on a computer in my home
> network, and would like to set up printer sharing between my 3
> computers (one XP Pro, one Mac OS X 10.3, and one FC3).   In the past,
> I was able to add the printer (An HP Officejet) via CUPS to the Fedora
> box with no problems.  My Mac saw the printer share automatically, but
> no amount of tweaking could make the PC see and print to the printer.
> When I shared it from the PC, neither the Mac or the Linux box could
> print to the share.
>
> So...
>
> Any recommendations as to which box to attach the printer to, so that
> both other computers can see it?  I would assume that I should attach
> it to the Fedora Box, and if that is the case, can anyone point me to a
> guide that outlines the steps to allow a Windows XP client to print to
> a Linux CUPS printer share?  Any information/suggestions/links would be
> much appreciated.  Thanks a million,
>
> -Sean

I had no problem getting FC1 and subsequently FC2 to recognize and use a
printer connected to a Windows XP system.  The trick seemed to be to get
a samba user created with the correct password information on all
systems so there were no permission issues.

I was subsequently able to get things working on an RH8 system.

For the FC1 and FC2 systems I used the Configure Printers GUI.  On the
RH8 system I needed to setup the queue in the CUPS interface.

I understand you can get a window system to use lpr type print queues.
I believe there was another thread about that recently.  If so that may
be a better way to go.  I have to think anything that eliminates windows
protocols (i.e. samba) has to be a better way to do things.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>