Re: Fedora Box with TWO NIC's

Julian Underwood wrote:

Dear Fedora List,

This message isn't totally "On Topic" but my question refers to a Fedora box which will soon act as a server. Plus I find the people on this list to be very knowledgable. My quesiton may be consitered "basic networking" but maybe someone can help me.

I have a Fedora box with two working NIC's:

DSL, static IP:
(NIC 1)
ip:168.101.199.6
nm:255.255.255.248
gw:168.101.199.5
dns:168.101.1.3, 168.101.1.9

LAN, has a sonicwall router to Cable modem:
(NIC 2)
ip:192.168.0.7
nm:255.255.255.0
gw:192.168.0.1
dns:not needed

With this setup, /nothing/ works. Can't ping anything, can't browse from the box locally, nothing. However if I remove the gateway on NIC 2 (192.168.0.1), then I can at least browse through NIC 1 and it can be pinged. However--the LAN interface is still useless, can't ping it.

The reverse works the same. Remove the GW on NIC 1 (168.101.199.5) and place it on NIC 2 (192.168.0.1) then I can browse through NIC 2 on the Cable modem side, but then the DSL NIC becomes useless (can't ping).

So I am asking, what is the trick to make BOTH interfaces work and if the server needs to go out onto the net, it will by default browse out on the DSL side of things? I would like to be able to manage the server and provide file services from the LAN side.

I would assume adding a route rule would be in order, but I'm unsure of what to put. Can anyone help? TIA,

Julian

You need to have the default route set to the cable modem and a specific route in place for the internal lan, so that for everything except the internal lan, it will go out to the cable modem. Do a "netstat -nr", or a "route print", and let's see what you have.