Re: Re: [Fedora] Re: Help me find 5 mistakes and than solution to thoes mistakes!

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:57:40 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner
<ashley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andrew Dietz wrote:
>     CACTI is a valid plural for cactus, as is cactuses.  VIRII on the
> other hand isn't one for virus.

I'm glad I read these off-topic threads from time to time, I always
thought Virii was perfectly acceptable, if not more correct, with it
being a latin root and all.  I wondered if it was a difference between
American and British english but a quick check in OSED set me
straight.

Apparently for latin viri is correct:
http://lysy2.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/words.exe?virus , but the latin
meaning is a bit divorced from the current english meaning.

We could have a nice argument about how usage defines language rather
than rules thought up by Victorians, but I wouldn't want to start that
:)

Rob