Thunderbird Goodness

So, I'm thinking about changing from Evolution to Thunderbird. It seems to be able to do everything I need. I just have one niggle, and I thought I would see if anyone could help me here.

As I understand it, when I go to Preference > Preferred Applications, and I set my browser as /opt/fire fox/fire fox I am actually setting my preference for the script htmlview. I can call multiple windows of fire fox without error. But, if thunderbird opens a URL, and I already have firefox running, I am asked to select a user profile. I think this is rather odd. Anyone know a way around this?

I am running the latest stable releases of both fire fox and thunderbird. I have them installed in /opt, I am not using RPM for this because the repositories aren't keeping up well with the release schedule.

--andy