Relaying through Smart Host

I am trying to get my Sendmail server to send through my ISPs SMTP server.
I've defined the address in the mc file, and my server can resolve the
address, but outbound mail from another host on the network gets the
relaying denied message.  Is there a relay feature I am missing?

Mail works fine when the host's client is configured to go straight through
the ISPs SMTP....

Thanks!
Steve de Carteret