Re: VDQ : FC1 > FC2 ??

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 19:38, Beartooth wrote:
> Very Dumb Question : being as how I plan to upgrade FC1 to FC2 about the
> time FC3 is released, is there a preferred (safest, easiest, most
> foolproof) way?
safest: Reinstallation.
easiest: apt-get
foolproof: yum

>  Can I use yum somehow? ("yum upgrade" on a test machine
> did nothing recently. Change yum.conf, maybe??)
Probably.

>  Do I have to manage to
> burn a CD (or more than one)?
Normally you won't need it, but it's good to have them as fallback in
case something weird happens.

>  Can I upgrade,
Yes.

>  or is it really much better
> (and if so, why?) to do a new install?
It depends. In comparison to RH9->FC1 updates, which in my experience
were pretty painless, FC1->FC2 updates tend to break in many details,
due to many "uncooked features", "hidden bugs".

> Rationale : my guess is that this whole process is likely to be at about
> the optimal stage around FC3 release time -- as is FC2, for that matter...
Well, ... frankly speaking, (I'm sure somebody will object and flame),
FC2 isn't for the fainthearted. IMO, though it meanwhile has matured
since its initial release, installing and using it partially is still a
rough ride with several corners and edges :-)

Ralf