Re: Slow Samba

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 08:41, Andy Green wrote:

> On Thursday 19 August 2004 16:19, Thom Paine wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 22:41, Scott Pumer wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have googled and reviewed the fedora archives with no luck.
> > >
> > > Basically, copying large amounts of data to linux samba shares is very
> > > slow (150-1500mb transfers, multiple files) running about 40Kb/s
> >
> > Ditto. My samba seems to be quite slow.
> >
> > I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting either.
>
> Just a guess, but do you have the 137:139 UDP ports open on the firewall of
> the Linux machine?
>
> iptables -L
-----
There have been some reports that Win2K and WinXP clients by default
have web folders turned on by default and thus there is some delay
because it is searching the server for access. You might want to make
sure that apache is running on the samba server just to test this
theory. This is a whole lot easier than going to each machine and
turning it off and certainly easier to test to see if this is at least
part of the problem.

Also, I have had network cards that work well on some protocols and
poorly on others.

of course you can use ethereal to capture the packets to see what is
actually transpiring.

and lastly, you should go to www.google.com/linux and search for samba
tuning for other tips.

Craig