Re: server refused to allocate pty - FC2

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Do, den 19.08.2004 schrieb Mike Burger um 6:45:
>
> > Today, I noticed that I couldn't log ssh into my FC2 workstation.
> >
> > Additionally, I couldn't open up any additional Konsole terms and actually
> > get a command prompt.
> >
> > When attempting to ssh in via putty from a Windows machine, I get this:
> >
> > login as: mburger
> > Sent username "mburger"
> > mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
> > Server refused to allocate pty
>
> > Has anyone else seen this behavior?  If so, has anyone figured out how to
> > get around it?
>
> How many pts' do run now on the machine in question? Did it run out of
> resources?
>
> ps a | grep -c pts

At the time, I had a total of 4.  3 open Konsoles at pts/1 thru pts3, and
one that was being held by kdeinit for kwrite.

System memory was fine, still hadn't touched swap.  Kernel was the 2.6.7
kernel recently shipped.  I've reverted back to the 2.6.5 kernel, for the
short time.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit