Re: Cups problem. "ReadClient() 5 IPP Read Error!"

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 02:41:44PM -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:

> I have an ongoing problem with one of my clients' printers.  It's an HP
> laserjet 5.  It is connected to an FC1 workstation parallel.

In my experience, often printer problems can be traced to the firmware
-- does the manufacturer provide newer firmware for this model?  If so
it would definitely be worth trying that first of all.

> I've replaced the FC1 box twice, the printer once, and the printer cable
> twice.

Have you tried connecting the printer to an FC2 machine?

> E [18/Aug/2004:13:01:25 -0500] ReadClient() 5 IPP Read Error!
>
> I see this when the printer gets disabled.  So what is a "5 IPP read
> error?"

This means that it was expecting to be able to read IPP data from the
other machine, but for some reason could not.

> On the FC2 server, I have a similar situation, where a job will just
> hang going out the parallel port to an HP 4050 right in the middle of a
> job.

Is that connected directly to the FC2 server?

Tim.
*/