Re: Intel 440BX and 'e100' NIC

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 08:04, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>     I once had a new, powerful motherboard; 2xP2@300. I was hoping it
> might boost the UT/Quake3 frames-per-second, but mostly I was wanting
> out of a really crappy motherboard, and I'd always wanted to try an SMP
> machine.  It was good; very good.  I used it for years.
>
>     Replacing a thin-client, I put that machine to use again upstairs
> for my for my daughter.  After many hours of install with a bad CDROM
> drive, it finally booted, but it appears I'm installing a problematic
> version of the kernel that has a bug particular to this MB.
>
>     I see the "PAE and S3 don't get along, yet" message, and I've
> Googled it...newer versions don't have the problem.

I have this same message on several of my older machines.  It hasn't
caused any problems, and I don't think that it is a problem.

>     But before I can work out _that_ issue, I have to figure out why the
> built-in Intel Ethernet Pro ("e100", a.k.a. "eepro") isn't
> initializing.  Worse yet, it won't rmmod.  And as if that's not enough,
> a KERNEL PANIC in loading the non-necessary floppy driver is also at
> work...but not stopping me completely.  (How's that work?)

In /etc/modprobe.conf, change e100 to eepro100 to see if the other
driver works better.  While in modprobe.conf, add 'alias floppy off' to
stop the floppy module from loading.

Forrest