Re: Booting error after power failure

Maurizio Rosetti wrote:
> after an electrical power failure, when booting I get the error:
>
> ACPI: S3 and PAE do not like each other for now, S3 disabled.
> audit(1092819876:0): initialized
> Red Hat nash version 3.5.22 starting
> JBD: Failed to read block at offset 1929
> EXT3-fs : error loading journal.
> ata2: DMA timeout, stat 0X21
>
> Do you think I have to reinstall FC2 or is there another way to fix the
> problem ?

Well, you can try booting with the FC2 recovery CD or another CD/floppy/
USB-based distribution and try to fsck your root partition, but I'm
afraid that it sounds as though your hard drive has been physically
affected.

Normally, this would merely be one bad sector on the drive, which the
firmware will notice and replace without you having to do anything.
But keep an eye on the disk, in case it displays more problems.

In any case, if the ext3 journal has been affected, you should be able
to mount it as an ext2 filesystem. Note that if the filesystem was
mounted read-write at the time, then it will need a fsck, and there is
a strong possibility that the filesystem structure will be corrupted
(this is what the fsck will fix as far as it can: you should check
/lost+found in any case).

Good luck!

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "She was good at playing abstract confusion in the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | same way a midget is good at being short."