RE: IMAP Hierarchy

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Travis Fraser
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 7:46 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: IMAP Hierarchy

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 07:05, Javier Perez wrote:
> Help!
>
> My IMAP hierarchy used to look like this:
>
> INBOX
>    Cron
>    Lists
>      Fedora_list
>      Clamav
>

> etc.
>
> I changed mailserver from Courier-Imap to dovecot.
> Also I had a trouble that forced me to reformat my win2k box.
> Nevertheless the same situation happens with Thunderbird and Evolution.
>
> Now my hierarchy looks like this
>
> INBOX
> Cron
> Lists
>   Fedora_list
>   Clamav
>
> Furthermore, when I see the ~HOME/Maildir subdirectory I see a
> .INBOX subdirectory that I did not use to have. I tried erasing it
> with rmdir but it seems to get regenerated somehow.
>
> How can I go back to the old hierarchy? I tried moving
> the subdirectories below Inbox, but that added a .INBOX suffix
> to the corresponding subdirectories.
I use dovecot to serve up IMAP. My maildir folders look like this:

~/.maildir/.INBOX
~/.maildir/.INBOX.fedora
~/.maildir/.INBOX.razor-users
~/.maildir/.spam

In my mail client, the folders appear like this:

INBOX
   fedora
   razor-users
spam

Travis Fraser

Hi Travis!

That was my point. I did not have an .INBOX entry before. I could move
everyone
below INBOX and let them gain the prefix .INBOX, but then I have to modify
all
of my procmailrc rules for classifying my e-mail. I'd rather not do it, but
if I
have to I will. I am just being a little lazy looking for an easy way out.

I wonder. Do Dovecot and Courier-IMAP have different ways to treat the
hierarchy?
I do not remember a .Inbox under Courier-IMAP. Is it a best practice to have
.inbox?

Thanks